Monday, February 16, 2009

FAQ

A commonly asked question from my clients is--"What is your favorite type of massage?" To answer that has felt like trying to choose my favorite child! I was taught many modalities (types of massage). Most therapists are eclectic body workers and will use a variety of techniques, depending on the needs and wants of the client. I often use a little Shiatsu, Russian Sport, Reflexology, Trigger Point--just to name a few during a session.

There is a technique that can easily be incorporated into a full body or chair massage. You can specifically request Trigger Point Therapy. This technique has been shown to alleviate chronic pain and dysfunction. "Trigger Points" (TrP's) are basically the knots we feel in our muscles. They are those sore, irritable areas that hurt when pressed on. The work of respected researchers Janet G. Travell M.D. (physician to Presidents Kennedy & Johnson) and David G. Simons M.D. has been of great worth to many clients.

During this interactive technique you can expect your therapist to palpate areas of tension and pain. Once the TrP is found, digital or another tool will be used to apply pressure. She will ask you about the depth of pressure - generally, the ideal is 7/10. (1) being the least...(10) the most. The area will be massaged, and you can expect some type of stretching.

"Does it hurt?" Discomfort shouldn't go beyond your ability to stay relaxed. I have personally found TrP therapy beneficial in relieving pain and regaining range of motion. Clients who have never tried Trigger Point Therapy are often surprised at it's effectiveness. It's worth asking for-it may turn out to be one of your favorites.

-JERI MAY

2 comments:

Mel's Family said...

Jeri
Your blog is beautiful and full of wonderful info. I had my first massage as a gift, and recently had my 2nd. I wish I lived close by so I could schedule with you. I was so very pleasantly surprised as to how the massage helped me. I was having pain in the muscles in my upper and lower arms. I felt alot of relief and was given stretches to help. Hannah also goes regularly due to her hips go out of place often after being on crutches for so many years. This is helping her with her back pain. We are big fans of massage!!!! Mel

Jeri May, LMT/Master Esthetician said...

I love your experience. I'm happy to say that this is a common response. Before experiencing bodywork--most of us have the misconception that it is only a 'relaxing' experience. It really does help with pain & dysfunction. I'm glad for you & Hannah--and that you have a therapist who helping make your life more comfortable!